Experienced And Aggressive Trial And Appellate Counsel
Serving Elkhorn And Surrounding Areas Of Wisconsin


Child Support And Child Custody In Wisconsin

At The Law Office of Mark E. Sostarich, located in Elkhorn, Wisconsin, we provide experienced representation to mothers and fathers who need help dealing with child custody and child support issues during the divorce process. We also offer help to parents who have since completed the divorce process, yet must petition the court for post-divorce modifications to their custody or support orders.

Schedule your free initial consultation today by contacting our Kenosha child custody/support lawyer online, or by calling 800-837-6956. We look forward to helping you resolve your family law issues quickly and cost-effectively.

Major credit cards are accepted. Flexible payment plans are available upon request.

Child Support And Child Custody Representation: Serving Kenosha, Racine And All Of Wisconsin

Under Wisconsin family law, child custody means a parent’s ability to make decisions about a child’s life, including medical decisions, decisions about school and other important aspects of a child’s upbringing. By law, courts are required to presume that custody is held jointly by both parents until decided otherwise.

Courts will carefully consider a family’s specific circumstances and award custody based upon what is in the best interests of a child. Most of the time this involves joint custody agreements, where neither a mother’s nor a father’s interests are superior to the other. Occasionally, however, the court may determine that one parent should have sole custody, leaving important decisions to that parent’s sole discretion.

Criteria that the court will use to help determine the appropriate custody arrangement include:

  • The preference of the child (assuming proper age)
  • The mental and physical health of the parents and child
  • The relationships the child has with his or her parents and siblings
  • Evidence of past physical or mental abuse
  • Evidence of drug or alcohol abuse
  • Other factors unique to a family’s situation

In addition to determining child custody, the court will analyze whether child support payments are necessary — these placements typically correspond to a child’s placement (where he or she resides and sleeps at night). If the child spends more than 75 percent of his or her time at one parent’s residence, then the parent who has placement less than 25 percent of the time usually pays a percentage of his or her income in the form of child support. The typical amount awarded is 17 percent of a parent’s income, yet this varies based upon income level and other case-specific circumstances.

Contact A Child Custody And Child Support In Wisconsin

has more than 35 years of experience helping mothers and fathers address their divorce issues, especially when children are involved.

Schedule your free initial consultation today by contacting our firm online, or by calling 800-837-6956. We look forward to answering your questions and helping you achieve your goals.